lodging in Atlanta

From: Mellard, David (dam7@ATSDHA1.EM.CDC.GOV)
Date: Tue Apr 22 1997 - 15:15:00 PDT

Date: Tue, 22 Apr 97 17:15:00 EST
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@ATSDHA1.EM.CDC.GOV>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: lodging in Atlanta

My partner (Sal Marino) and I are inviting a few of you to stay with us
during the upcoming cp conference at the Atlanta Botanical Gardens May 15 -
18. I'm the one with the cp obsession; Sal merely tolerates it but you
will still be in luck because he's a fabulous cook.

I have a room with two double beds and a room with a futon on the floor.
 The later is a habit my son picked up in Japan and now I have to live it
while he's away at college. The futon can fit one cozily and two
intimately.

Accomadations and rides to the conference are free. We are also equal
opportunity accomadators and do not discriminate based on sex, religion,
race, age, or sexual preference. Did I leave anything out and have I made
this situation perfectly clear? (chuckle)

Other alternatives

I've also checked hotel and motel rates within 30 minutes of the gardens.
 Most are around $60, but here are a few cheaper ones. Remember to add 13%
hotel tax for the final expense.

Bugetel Inn
Chantilly Drive
404-321-0999

   Single occupancy
      Thursday, Sunday 41.95
       Friday, Saturday 46.95

   Double occupancy
      Thursday, Sunday 48.98
       Friday, Saturday 53.95

Only smoking rooms are available. If you have a map, it's at the
intersection of 85 and Cheshire Bridge/Lenox Road. The gardens are on
Piedmont Road closer to the city center, in an area called Midtown if you're
still looking at that map. This is your typical no frills, by the freeway
motel but appears fairly new and so hopefully clean. It is about a 15
minute drive to ABG and is located near some very good (and still reasonably
priced) restaurants on Cheshire Bridge Road, a rather eccelctric street.

Suburban Lodge of Decatur
Church Street (I think)
404-294-1638

   Single occupancy 44
   Double occupancy 48 to 52

There is a refundable $10 deposit. This new motel is in Decatur, a neat
little community that's been engulfed by Atlanta. It is about 20 or maybe
30 minutes with traffic from the gardens.

The directions from these two hotels to the gardens will be easy.

I'm trying to find a place for $30 but that just doesn't seem to exist close
to the gardens. Will keep you posted if I do. If you find one, I'll answer
any questions about how easy it will be to get to the conference.

Also, I know one of those good, but relatively cheap restaurants if you
would like to plan an evening out together. The name is Rocky's Brick Oven
Pizza. Don't groan yet. They have much more than just good pizza. Besides
pasta, it's the best antipasto in town and they serve anchovies in garlic
olive oil and garlic greens that are just fabulous. Plus, homemade wine, so
they say. Anyway, every time I take a large group there, we order family
style and everyone has a blast.

If you're interested, let me know along with your preference for Friday or
Saturday or either and I will try to coordinate.

David