Re: ants

From: Bob Jewett (jewett@bill.hpl.hp.com)
Date: Wed Apr 16 1997 - 12:00:07 PDT

Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 12:00:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: Bob Jewett <jewett@bill.hpl.hp.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:  Re: ants

[Actually from Russell Elliott <relliott@geocities.com>, handled specially
due to suspicious header.]

cheng wrote:
> i feed my VFT with huge big ants. They eat but die later
> any one know why
> help
> jamie

 Jamie,

 I'm not to sure about this, but the ant may have been too large for the
plant to digest. I also *think* that ants are quite acidic, possibly
making them difficult to digest by the plant. I only say this because I
have seen the same thing happen in the past. BTW, I have seen a VFT
with a captured ant poking out of it. The ant was still alive, and
about seven days later, after the trap has started to turn black, the
ant was still living!!! I have seen small green caterpillars do the
same thing if they happen to blunder into a trap.

        -Russell

--
! Russell Elliott, Seed Bank Director,                          !