Re: Drosera regia

From: John H. Phillips III (phillips@library.ucsf.edu)
Date: Sun Apr 13 1997 - 18:38:34 PDT

Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 09:38:34 +0800
From: "John H. Phillips III" <phillips@library.ucsf.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Drosera regia

At 06:22 AM 4/13/97 -0700, you wrote:
>> From: NPLUMMER@HG-BASIC1MAIL.HG.MED.UMICH.EDU
>>
>> Well, one of them did germinate, so now I have a tiny baby D. regia It
occurs
>> to me that I know very little about the species. The terrarium is Drosera
>> adelae heaven: even warmth and low lighting. Will this be o.k. for D.
Regia? I
>> suspect D. regia will want brighter light and cooler temps. How about
potting
>> media? Should I transplant it to peat/sand when it gets a bit bigger?
The live
>> sphagnum is pretty soggy.
>
>Hi Nick,
>
> I think the Drosera adelae environment is better for D.regia.
>They don't like direct sun much, but do like it fairly bright. Also,
>this species likes more humidity than most other Drosera.
>
>Dave Evans
>
>P.S. I don't grow this plant, just kill them w/ too much light
>and dry air. ;)

I grow D. regia outside, year round, on my balcony in Berkeley (mild central
California climate, near the ocean) protected by a windscreen of
polyethelene plastic. It gets 4-6 hours of sun, and temps down into the mid
40's F in winter. And I use a mix of perlite/sphagnum. It works for me.
Happy growing,
John H. Phillips III e-mail:phillips@library.ucsf.edu
Interlibrary Loan Rm 202
Health Sciences Library