Re: Men & CPs

From: John H. Phillips III (phillips@library.ucsf.edu)
Date: Sun Apr 13 1997 - 18:30:14 PDT

Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 09:30:14 +0800
From: "John H. Phillips III" <phillips@library.ucsf.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Men & CPs

At 09:16 AM 4/14/97 -0700, you wrote:

>"doug bosco" <dark@popmail.mcs.net> wrote:

>C'mon! Do you really think that stationary plants can be called hunters
>and thus compared to males? They attract bugs with scents and colors and
>then engulf them. That doesn't sound too "male" to me.
>
>In one of her (excellent) books, Sara Stein writes about how we like to
>talk about plants as if they had male and female sex like humans, while
>the truth is that their sexuality and reproductive schemes are quite
>unlike ours. If we see plants as being "masculine" or "feminine" its
>mostly a product of our minds.

Amen, afterall, if they were like humans we probably wouldn't grow them.

>Question:
>
>I recently repotted some D. capensis because they seemed to be
>inexplicably dying back. I had purchased them from California Carnivores
>a little over a year and a half ago. They were 6 or so medium plants in a
>largish pot. When I unpotted them, I noted that much of the potting
>medium had broken down to a gooey black 'mud.' Aha, I thought, this
>must be the problem. However, to avoid disurbing the roots too much,
>I left much of the old growing medium on the plants and mostly
>replaced the lower part of the pot (with shredded sphagnum, vermiculite,
>and a little sand). Now, I'm thinking this was a mistake
>and I should have rinsed off the roots and given them totally fresh
>growing mix since they may be rotting. Should I redo my repotting?
>

>Matthew Baggott, mbagg@itsa.ucsf.edu
>Research Associate, Drug Dependence Research Center
>University of California, San Francisco
Hi Matt, The same thing has happened to me. Just replace the old soil with
a fresh mix. I've had the best results from 2/1 peat/fine sand mix, or pure
New Zealand sphagnum moss. I don't find the roots suffer easily from root
damage.
Happy growing,
John H. Phillips III e-mail:phillips@library.ucsf.edu
Interlibrary Loan Rm 202