Re: TC, Microwaves and Pings

From: John Walker (jorwa@syspac.com)
Date: Fri Apr 11 1997 - 20:55:25 PDT

Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 20:55:25 -0700
From: John Walker <jorwa@syspac.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: TC, Microwaves and Pings

At 05:27 PM 4/11/97 -0700, you wrote:

> Indeed - DO NOT sterilise metal foreceps etc. in the m/wave unless
> you want a rather impressive but very expensive (not to mention
> quite dangerous,) indoor forework display!
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Peter
I regularly put metal such as spoons, forks, and aluminium foil in the
microwave while it is operating. The round metal "doggie bags" that uneaten
resteraunt food or take out meals are packaged in are also no problem in the
microwave.

The rules you have to follow are simple:

1) Do not let any metalic object come into contact with the inside
surface of the oven. Electrical arcing will result if you do!

2) Cover the meal (or what ever your heating that contains metal) with
a paper towel. Electrical arcing will result if you do not!

If you follow these two rules, and do not allow an unblocked path for the
electricity to arc from the metal utensil to the inside of the oven,
electrical arcing will not occur and you will be free to enjoy your meal or
what ever your heating.

Bon Appitete (sp?)
John in Phoenix