various questions

From: Jim M. (jmbamboo@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri Apr 11 1997 - 20:01:04 PDT

Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 22:01:04 -0500
From: "Jim M." <jmbamboo@worldnet.att.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: various questions

Hi,
  My name is Jim M. and I am fairly new to this list. I've been growing
cp's for only a couple of years. My entire collection was give to me by
a friend who has been growing them for many years. I am not entirely
sure what I have but here is a guess using the book Carnivouous Plants
of the World by Gordon Cheers.
VFT (of course)
Drosera (3 or 4 different kinds)
Sarracenia (4 different ones I think)

I can't be any more specific about varieties as they have not put on
much growth yet after the winter. I do know they are all temperate
varities. I live near Birmingham, Alabama, USA.
   Last winter I had them all in pots and they came thru the cold in
fair to poor condition. This winter I placed the pots in the ground to
hopefully protect them from freezing too hard. Since they have just
started to put on new growth I don't yet know how well they
over-wintered. Now for some questions.
    I am growing them in 100% peat moss. Is this acceptable? Different
books say different things. I would like to maintain a natural look so
I don't really want to use vermiculite or perlite mixed in. Any other
suggestions? I would really like to have them all in a man-made bog. I
have seen some mention on this list about this but not much info. Can
anyone point me to some good information on building a bog? On page 29
of the above mentioned book there is a picture of something like I have
in mind..beautiful.
    When is the best time to divide/propagate my cp's? Where can I buy
more cp's? Ive been to all the Home Depot's here as well as several
nurseries and none have any cp's. I have seen a few in the Wal Mart
store a few years ago but nothing since. Is there a cp club in Alabama?
I am currently building a water garden and would like to combine it with
a boggy area, any suggestions? I do enjoy the cp's but am primarily a
bamboo grower (60+ varieties). I would appreciate any info anyone can
give me and would be interested in swapping plants with anyone. (Surely
some of you could use some lovely bamboo's!) Anyway, thanks for your
help.