Darlingtonia Californica

From: Robert Hood (CP-MAN@msn.com)
Date: Thu Apr 10 1997 - 12:17:13 PDT

Date: Thu, 10 Apr 97 19:17:13 UT
From: "Robert Hood" <CP-MAN@msn.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Darlingtonia Californica

Hi,I saw the question about a sand/perlite mixture for Darlingtonias instead
of a colder environment and this is what I do. I have a soil medium for them
that conatains a half and half mix of horticutral sand and peat moss with
spaghnum moss at the base of the plant. I keep the Darlingtonias in my room
and at the night the temperature is turned down pretty low so before I go to
sleep,every few nights I give the plant water and when I wake up the soil is
nice and cold,even though the temperature during the day remains warm the soil
stay cold.After some trial and error I have found that it is the roots and
soil that need to be cool for the plant to thrive and not the plant itself.

                     A fellow cper,
                      Robert Hood