Book sale?

From: Niels Asger Nielsen (NAN@HDC.HHA.DK)
Date: Thu Apr 10 1997 - 09:16:21 PDT

Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 18:16:21 +0200
From: NAN@HDC.HHA.DK (Niels Asger Nielsen)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Book sale?

A religious ecologist, David Doyle, is marketing his book on "deeper
ecology" on yesterdays list. The recipient list of this mail is suppressed,
it's probably huge. Are all mails to the list accepted onto the CP-digest,
regardless of subject?

By the way, the statements this guy is making are based on half-digested
knowledge. The guy is confusing two separate phenomena, namely the
diminishing ozone layer (protecting us against ultra-violet rays) which has
nothing to do with incresed levels of carbon-dioxide and the so-called
increased greenhouse effect. The latter is a contested (very much so)
theory linking an increase in the earth's average temperature to a build up
of extra greenhouse gasses in the atmosphere, mainly carbon-dioxide due to
our use of fossil fuels (the effect of harvesting and burning trees is very
small in comparison).

David Doyle:
>Furthermore, scientists have documented a one degree overall increase in
>global temperature in recent history, giving evidence to the "greenhouse
>effect" of the diminishment of the ozone layer; this perverse, proverbial
>newsflash, which has captured the interest of millions over the last few
>decades. Again, satellite images show that this risk in our protective
>coating from the sun's ultraviolet rays is increasing as time goes on,
>caused by the build-up of carbon dioxide, stemming from the overharvest of
>trees.<

Niels Asger Nielsen
MAPP researcher, Msc

The Aarhus School of Business