Re: TC, Microwaves and Pings

From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Fri Apr 04 1997 - 20:16:52 PST

Date:          Fri, 4 Apr 1997 20:16:52
From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       Re: TC, Microwaves and Pings

Dear Neal,

> I do not own a pressure cooker for which I need to sterilize media for
> tissue culture. I was wondering if I could use my microwave oven to
> sterilize the media? If I can, how long?

The answer is a clear NO. Microwave ovens do only (almost exclusively)
heat liquid water (would you touch a cup of coffee heated in the MW
oven if the cup was heated as well?). Therefore, the MW oven is not
able to sterilize any spores (containing almost no water at all)
which contaminate your tc media and equipment. As some spores may
even resist the temperature of boiling water under normal
athmospheric pressure, it is in any event necessary to sterilize the
stuff in a steam pot or autoclave.

> I have a Ping and I do not know what it is (as in species). It has
> sent up a flower, the flower is yellow and unscented.

If it is only yellow (golden yellow, not off white, not mixed with
white and/or pink), it must be _P. lutea_. This is the only purely
yellow flowered species in the genus.

> Also, what is the procedure for pollenation in this Genus?

Take a thin and narrow object (the anterior dorsal end of an insect is
the natural agent but a toothpick is perfect as well). Insert it into
one flower (the shape of the corolla will rather obviously show you
the entrance), check if pollen adheres to the object, and insert
the same object (with the pollen-carrying end) into another flower.

Kind regards
Jan