Re: HELP! Heliamph Problem

From: -Tom- (tkhayes@pennet.net)
Date: Tue Apr 01 1997 - 05:49:16 PST

Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 13:49:16 GMT
From: -Tom- <tkhayes@pennet.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: HELP! Heliamph Problem

Jay,

>New crop of leaves on my H. heterodoxa x minor have
>come up oddly shaped (etiolated), and mottled, with
>large brown and yellow areas on the normally-green
>pitchers. they are also even more brittle than
>normal. Light was not decreased during their
>winter dormancy (40-60 degree temperatures,
>high humidity, just damp media).

Any signs of insects at all? Some sucking creatures are really tiny and the
new growth shows signs like you describe when it is being attached while it
is developing. Thrips in particular are nasty little yellowish plant suckers!

>Anyone have a diagnosis? Advice? Virus? (ugh)

Get in there and look around with a hand lens and see if you can find any
signs of pests. (bring a leaf when you are here next week?) Can't tell
about a virus without ruling out bugs first.

Take care & keep on growing,

-Tom-