Re: Medium

From: Chris Teichreb (teichrch@MEENA.CC.UREGINA.CA)
Date: Mon Mar 31 1997 - 15:32:08 PST

Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 17:32:08 -0600 (CST)
From: Chris Teichreb <teichrch@MEENA.CC.UREGINA.CA>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Medium

Hi John,

On Mon, 31 Mar 1997, john e. cavanaugh wrote:

> To anyone in particular,
> I have seen the terms "nepenthes medium", etc, used here and I'm
> not certain what that means. Both Petropaulos and Schwartz (my two shelf

        It just means whatever soil mixture you use for growing your
plants in. Most people don't really like the term soil mixture,
because perlite, vermiculite, and bark aren't really considered soil
types by most.

> references) advise live sphagnum for nearly everything but Drosophylum. As
> I am having a little difficulty with my young neps, and with my older nep
> growing like gangbusters but producing no pitchers, I wonder if I might
> have too much moisture. I currently have them in a mixture of milled
> peat:sand:vermiculite of 2:1:1, over styrafoam "peanuts", with live
> sphagnum on top. These are sthen suspended above water in a terrerium and
> misted daily with R/O water and monthly with plant food diluted 1:10 from
> the concentration on the lable.

        You may have a bit too much moisture in the media, but if
you're only suspending it and misting, not directly watering onto
the pots, it shouldn't be a problem. I'd recommend a bit looser
of a medium, mainly of bark and perlite.

        How is the light in the terrarium? Too much or too little
(depending on the species) can cause it to refuse to pitcher or
the little guys to grow. If you have very long internode distances,
this could be the problem.

        Also, depending on the species, the temperature could be a
problem. Remember that highland species need significantly cooler
night temps.

        If you can tell us what species you have, I'm sure more
people could help you. Good luck!

Regards,

Chris Teichreb
Department of Biology