Re: re: Cindy's Bog Question

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Fri Mar 28 1997 - 16:24:00 PST

Date:    Fri, 28 Mar 97 19:24 EST
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: re: Cindy's Bog Question

> Subject: re: Cindy's Bog Question
>
> Dave, why couldn't she grow Drosophyllum? I'm no expert on its cultivation
> (never tried this one) but both Southern Spain/North Africa and Southern
> California
> share a similar (Mediterranian) climate, with warm dry summers and cool
> wet winters.

Hi Jay,

   Oh she could grow it easily, just not in a bog as they grow
in conditions more suited for cactus than most other CP. I'm not
talking about a straight out desert, but there is no way they could
survive being planted in a bog.
   I was thinking about how she might get Byblis to grow too...
Perhaps making a sort of mound in the sunniest part of the bog
using a lot more sand than peat and make it high enough so it is
well above the water line (where Sarracenia grow) but still able
to get enough water to grow well. They're somewhat like Drosophyllum
in that they don't like being too wet, but are much more forgiving
and like contasnt moisture.

Dave Evans