re: Cindy's Bog Question

From: L235@aol.com
Date: Fri Mar 28 1997 - 06:49:22 PST

Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 09:49:22 -0500 (EST)
From: L235@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: re: Cindy's Bog Question

Cindy,

The only outdoor carnivorous plant bog that I know of in your area (there may
be private ones as well) is at the Cal State University, Fullerton Arboretum.
 Leo Song, Jr. the plant collection manager at CSUF biology dept., can
probably help
you identify which plants will do best in your area. In the lathhouses on
campus, he grows (I believe) all the species and many hybrids of Sarracenia,
tuberous droseras, Cephalotus, Aldrovanda, and a (gorgeous) Nepenthes
khasiana. Unrelated, he also has the nicest Copihue (Chilean Bellflowers)
I've seen outside of Chile (not that I've seen many).

Dave, why couldn't she grow Drosophyllum? I'm no expert on its cultivation
(never tried this one) but both Southern Spain/North Africa and Southern
California
share a similar (Mediterranian) climate, with warm dry summers and cool
wet winters.

Jay Lechtman (L235@aol.com)
"People in glass houses should grow CP."