RE: Dried Sarracenia Arrangement !!!!

From: Ken Cusson (ken@mail3.casadyg.com)
Date: Mon Mar 24 1997 - 08:09:24 PST

Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 16:09:24 +0000
From: Ken Cusson <ken@mail3.casadyg.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Dried Sarracenia Arrangement !!!!

Hey! Don=B9t be too hasty to judge this =B3discovery=B2 as bad news. It may be
great news for CP!

If CP were to become =B3suddenly=B2 popular for dried arrangements, it means
that the commercial nurseries will want to start growing them. Can you
imagine city block-long greenhouses filled with thriving S. flavas or S.
leucophyllas?? One plant will grow many new leaves during a growing season,
and as long as the plant is permitted to keep some it will survive the loss
of a few leaves.

Collecting from the wild would not necessarily be desireable ... they would
be bug-infested (as well as full!) and not exactly a =B3pleasant=B2 time in
finding them! Nursery-grown plants could be carefuly controlled for
coloring, size, leaf-shape, etc. and the arrangements could be made in
quantity. Consider it ... who would prefer an arrangement made up of wild
roses or carnations as compared to buying carefuly grown ones.

I have often said, on this list, that the real answer to keeping these
plants alive and well is the development of the commercial growing of the
plants ... once this happens the desire to collect them from the wild would
sharply diminish. Unfortunately, until there is a substantial demand for th=
plants it will never happen to the degree needed to bring them off of the
=B3endangered=B2 lists.

Instead of wanting to =B3read the riot act=B2 to the decorator, I think I would
want to thank her profusely for finding a way to show the beauty of these
plants to population as a whole.

Ken Cusson, Secretary/Treasurer
I.C.P.S.