Re: Dried Sarracenia arrangement

From: L235@aol.com
Date: Mon Mar 24 1997 - 06:59:44 PST

Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 09:59:44 -0500 (EST)
From: L235@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Dried Sarracenia arrangement

>While we were touring the builder's model, I spotted an arrangement of dried
>Sarracenias in the kitchen! Upon closer inspection, it turned out to contain
>AT LEAST 30 dried pitchers!! I couldn't believe it!! And then, I found
>another arrangement of about 20 pitchers in another room!!
>
>I don't know what species they were (I'm new at CP, and don't have any Sarr.
>yet), but they were each between 8" to 14" tall. The pitchers displayed
>visible veigns vertically up the pitcher, branching into a pronounced
complex
>pattern at the tops. Each pitcher had a "hood", with the fine hairs easily
>visible on the underside.

S. leucophylla -- the White-Topped Pitcher Plant
is the one most commonly used in dried "flower"
arrangements, and this seems to match the description
you've given as well. While wild-harvesting of these
pitchers for the cut-flower industry may not in every
case (or even in many cases) be illegal, it certainly
can be destructive. The Environmental Defense Fund
distributes a leaflet on the practice, arguing that
farm-raised S. leucophylla hybrids would be an excellent
alternative, and potentially an economic boon
to the depressed areas of the U.S. where these
plants are found. It is possible that these pitchers
were farm-raised,but I have yet to hear of that happening
on any scale yet. Any updates from anyone?

Jay Lechtman (L235@aol.com)