RE: flava ID

From: Mellard, David (dam7@ATSDHA1.EM.CDC.GOV)
Date: Mon Mar 24 1997 - 06:54:00 PST

Date: Mon, 24 Mar 97 09:54:00 EST
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@ATSDHA1.EM.CDC.GOV>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: flava ID

Christopher Walkden said

> I have a plant that I have always called a S.flava. This plant has lots
> of yellow flowers, and big yellow pitchers with red veins down the
insides.
> Some plants also have a nice red splotch in the main fly catching area,
just
> under the hood. The only problem is that these plants all produce winter
> leaves. Do S.flava do this? I was under the impression that only
> S.oreophila did so.

Hi Chris,

You mention all the things that are used to determine the species of your
flava. You have the typical form of S. flava, which is sometimes designated
as Reugelli (not quite sure of the spelling here) or cutthroat. I have one
cutthroat from S. Carolina that has a rather small blotch in the throat and
another from Walton County that has a massive, full blotch. The red veins
are also typical of many flava's. It's the blotch, yellow or green yellow
tubes, yellow flower, and long phyllodia that screams flava. S. flava and
oreophila both produce winter leaves. The difference is that oreophila's
winter leaf is much smaller than flava's winter leaf. Oreophila's winter
leaf also has a very distinct curve. Flava's winter leaf is about 8
inches (at least mine are) on adult plants and are very straight with only a
slight curve at towards the tip.

David