Cats & Tetanus

From: covenante (covenante@mail.geocities.com)
Date: Thu Mar 20 1997 - 19:44:47 PST

Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 19:44:47
From: covenante <covenante@mail.geocities.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Cats & Tetanus

        Well I work for a vet, And I've never heard of them (cats) getting tetanus
so I doubt it. Choking is unlikely too unless its a plant with a huge
rhizome or something. Most of the time the only detriment to the cat is
the regurgitation of the plant. BTW, cats have a natural tendency to want
to eat green plants (ever seen a cat when they go outside? they make a mad
dash for the nearest 'salad bar' and chow down) so please cat proof your
CPs.

        As for the person with the reoccuring mite problem. I suspect that mites
are like fleas, and that the adult mites you see make up only a small
fraction of the population (in fleas, only 5% of the population are in
adult form). So while you may kill the adults, there are still eggs & larva
patiently waiting to hatch. If this is indeed the case, you need to use an
insecticide with an insect growth regulator (commonly labeled on packages
as IGR). Now with fleas you must also retreat the infested area 3 weeks
after the first treatment (theres a life cycle of the flea unaffected by
any insecticide made) so it may be a good idea to retreat for the mites too
after that life cycle has hatched in three weeks. This recommendation is
probably a long shot but it may do the trick.
Happy hunting.
+Michael
mad@kalamazoo.net