bad crickets

From: Paul Burkhardt (burkhard@aries.scs.uiuc.edu)
Date: Sat Mar 22 1997 - 15:43:06 PST

Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 17:43:06 -0600 (CST)
From: Paul Burkhardt <burkhard@aries.scs.uiuc.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: bad crickets

Hi everyone,

Just fed my cephalotus a cricket about a week ago and just now the pitcher
that had been dining on the cricket was attacked by some nematodes or
larvae of some kind. They rather resembled fungus gnat larvae only about
three times larger and they were enjoying the pitcher lid immensely. I am
certain that they were not fungus gnats since my cephalotus is enclosed
and I have never observed any adults flying around in the container.

I think the cricket was too large of a prey and thus not all of it was
submerged in the digestive fluid of the cephalotus, allowing the survival
of the parasites. I know there are some moth or mosquito larva which can
thrive in Sarracenias but never heard of any for cephs.

Paul Burkhardt