Re: Tuberous Drosera... Help!?

From: Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
Date: Tue Mar 18 1997 - 09:58:02 PST

Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 18:58:02 +0100
From: Clarke Brunt <clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Tuberous Drosera... Help!?

On 16 Mar 97 at 9:26, Rick Hyde wrote:

> My very first tuberous D. arrived from Alan Lowrie a few weeks ago(!). I've
> left the tubors in the bags they came in and every few days I check to see
> how they are doing. Well, now they are "doing" and I could use some advice.
> I have a fair collection of other CP in a greenhouse, but I know tuberous D.
> require special handling...
>
> The ones that are showing activity are the D. macrantha and the package of
> "Lucky Dip" (10 unlabled tubers). Each one is evidencing a single long (2
> cm.) shoot that is quite thin. I would guess that this is a stem. It LOOKS
> like a stem, but it might well be a root. Root or stem is the first
> question. I don't want to plant them upside down :-)
>[snip]

Everything you said seemed sensible. I'd say the thing that is
growing is a stem. If I've been late repotting some of my tuberous
sundews, then they have sometimes already developed a stem making its
way towards the surface. They are very fragile in this state. I'm not
actually sure where the roots and subsequent tubers grow from - are
they perhaps from sideshoots on the underground stem rather than from
the old tuber? Just let your plants grow when they will - they'll
soon settle down into your seasons.

--
Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk) http://www.brunt.demon.co.uk/
Cacti in Mexico, Seeds from Cambridge University Botanic Garden, etc.