Re: light energy consumption

From: Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sun Mar 16 1997 - 13:58:51 PST

Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 22:58:51 +0100
From: Clarke Brunt <clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: light energy consumption

On 14 Mar 97 at 13:29, Chris Teichreb wrote:

> Just a general question that I figured someone may
> be able to help with. Does anyone know approximately
> how much energy or how much money running a 48" fluorescent
> fixture 12 hours per day adds on per month? Just curious
> as I've never bothered to sit down and figure it out and
> thought someone else might have. Thanks in advance!

One tube has a power consumption of 36 Watts (or similar).
So running it for 12 hours uses 432 Watt hours, or 0.432kWh.
Over a (30 day) month, it would use 12.96kWh. In England, on
a standard sort of account, 1kWh costs 8.09 pence (0.0809
pounds) so the total is 1.05 pounds per month.

Convert to dollars and allow for your local electricity charge
as required.

--
Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk) http://www.brunt.demon.co.uk/
Cacti in Mexico, Seeds from Cambridge University Botanic Garden, etc.