flower deformations

From: Oliver Gluch (Oliver.Gluch@t-online.de)
Date: Sun Mar 16 1997 - 08:58:46 PST

Date: Sun, 16 Mar 97 17:58 +0100
From: Oliver.Gluch@t-online.de (Oliver Gluch)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: flower deformations

Hi to everybody,

this winter I have observed flower deformations at my Pinguicula plants. I never
had observed these deformations before, so it could not be of any genetic
reason. Since 6 months I undertook several changements in cultivation
conditions. First changement was the use of deionisized water instead of
rainwater. Due to a change of habitation I had no longer the opportunity to get
rainwater. I didn't want to use public water because of its high carbonate
content and chemical treatment, so I decided to use deionisized water. Second
change was to use as substrate a calcerous soil (limestone) instead of peat
(only for species which are calciphilous).
Now flowers of different species (not only the calciphilous) showing different
deformations. Often the spur is not formed or the petals are not seperated.
Could these effects be due to lack in different nutrients, because of the use of
deionisized water?
Could the abrupt change from acid to calcerous soil also have caused a change in
availability of several nutrients?
Could the apply of a diluted common fertilizer help to get rid of these
problems?

Awaiting your opinions and suggestions,

Oliver

Oliver Gluch