Longwood Gardens & Home Depot

From: Paul V. McCullough (pvmcull@voicenet.com)
Date: Sun Mar 16 1997 - 00:25:04 PST

Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 03:25:04 -0500
From: "Paul V. McCullough" <pvmcull@voicenet.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Longwood Gardens & Home Depot

> by Ron Lane <rl7329@sprynet.com>
> 8) Re: Venus Fly Traps at Home Depot
> by herbyn@pipeline.com

> Topic No. 1
>
> Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 18:01:34 -0500 (EST)
> From: CMcdon0923@aol.com
> To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
> Subject: Re: "Home Depot" CP

> << A few days back, someone mentioned a plethora of CP available at his local
> Home Depot store. Sounded like his local (Allentown?) had a great
> assortment- Drosera, Sarracenia, Nepenthes and Dionea! So I rushed over to
> my Home Depot after work to day, but alas, mine only had the VFTs. They were
> in the typical red 3" pot with the clear plastic cup on top. While the Traps
> were pretty big (and exceptionally red) the leaf supports (I know this isn't
> the right term... forgive me) were very short. The prices were around $3 a
> pop >>
>
> Paul,
>
> Yes, that Home Depot store is just outside of Allentown, PA. I went back the
> other night for some items (we're getting ready to move, so we have some
> fixing-up to do) and the "brand" they now had was also the red-potted
> ones...all were VFTs. This is a different brand/company from the one that had
> the various species. I also noticed the VFTs from this new source...HUGE
> traps, some more than an inch (2.5 cm) along the "hinge". In addition, almost
> 3/4 of the plants had a flower stalk with still-tight buds on top. I bought
> the two healthiest-looking plants with hopes of getting them to flower and
> seed. I am going to try and find out from the store Manager who the source
> was for the first batch which also contained the Drosera, Pings, and
> Nepenthes (there were no Sarracenia). I'll post any information if it becomes
> available.
>
> FYI, I have also seen Dionea (only) from this first source sold at the
> "Frank's" chain of garden centers. I believe Frank's is a national chain,
> too.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Craig

  Well today my wife and I decided to check out Longwood Gardens (We do
this once or twice a year) and take a look at their CP displays and
orchid room. At this time of the year, all the action is in the
Conservatory.
  Longwood is reknowned for its Nepenthes collection, but they moved all
of their neps to a fern hallway which features two brick window-sill
plantings of non-nepenthe CPs. The normal neps room is far grander, but
it has only a non-CP exhibit (boooo!) in there now... hopefully this is
only for winter... the Nepenthes just didn't look as healthy in their
current spot. For those interested, the Nepenthes collection consisted
of: N. x Mixta var. Superba; N. Alata; N. Wittei; N. x Splendiana; N.
Maxima and N. Dormanniana. If any of these spellings are incorrect,
please forgive me as I was holding a paper, pencil and camera and trying
to avoid families full of kids running up and down the hall screaming,
"Man-eating plants!".
  Of the non-nepenthes, the four CP window boxes were full of Sarracenia
in bloom! I think the flowers of the sarracenia family are particularly
striking- its a shame that the CP aren't given more real estate. The
sarracenia on display consisted of: S. x Mitchelliana; S. x Leucophylla
(Gorgeous flowers!); S. x Psittacenia (Big for a parrot pitcher...); and
Longwood's most successful pitcher, S. x Catesbaei. The majority of
pitchers were catesbaei, a cross of S. Flava and S. Purpurea. They
seemed prolific but many of the pitchers seemed to have collapsed under
their own weight. There was a motley crew of Dionae that looked kinda
sickly (too many kids poking at the traps, I imagine) and many Drosera
Capensis (a strikingly beautiful Sundew... and very large). There were
many gnats on the D. capensis traps, and a hundred ants marching in and
around the S. catesbaei. I think I've seen D. Binata there in the past-
they're probably dormant right now.
  After Longwood, my wife and I decided to check out the Allentown Home
Depot that Craig (Thanks, Craig!!!) wrote about. After all, it was only
an hour and a half north, right? Sure enough, there was one Drosera
adelae and one Venus Flytrap, and one Nepenthes plant left. We snapped
up the Drosera and VFT; the Nepenthes looked like it was dying. At
$2.93 each, they were a steal! So, my collection for my Klima-Gro
project is steadily growing. Anyone else visit any other Home Depots (or
any other store) in the Delaware Valley area (or nearby regions) and see
CPs for sale?
  Like I said a few days back, the Lawnside/Barrington Home depot only
has the red pot VFTs with the instructions saying that VFTs need
fertilizer twice a summer. (Ugh!) Would appreciate anyone letting me
know if any of the other stores get new shipments.

Cheers,
Paul