Re: light energy consumption

From: Ron Lane (rl7329@sprynet.com)
Date: Sat Mar 15 1997 - 10:25:37 PST

Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 13:25:37 -0500
From: Ron Lane <rl7329@sprynet.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: light energy consumption

At 01:57 PM 3/14/97 -0800, Perry responded:

>Assuming a 2-tube fixture with each tube rated at 40 Watts,
>you'll need about (80 Watts) x (12 hours) = 960 Watt-hours of
>energy per day to power up that fixture. The cost depends
>the going rate of electricity in your location, at the time
>you intend to use the lights.

To continue this a bit more, most of the shoplite-type fixtures use a
magnetic ballast which has significant heat loss (assume 20-30% although it
may be more). 1152 watt-hrs = 1.152 kwh x 365 days/year x $0.13/kwh
($0.08-0.14/kwh in USA) = $54.66/yr

Same calculation with 2 T-8 lamps with electronic ballast = $34 (I believe
most of Europe uses these more efficient fixtures/lamps. They've been slow
to catch on in USA.) In addition to lower energy costs, the new setups also
give a higher lumen output.

Sorry to sound like an advertisement for new light fixtures but I used to
be responsible for energy conservation in a large corporation. Simple
things like this allowed us to save millions of $$$. The numbers above are
rough approximations to give some idea of actual costs.

If you have a few cp terrariums, some aquariums, etc. - it can add up.

Good luck.

Ron Lane
RL7329@sprynet.com
Central NJ, USA