Re: Flowers

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Tue Mar 11 1997 - 19:44:00 PST

Date:    Tue, 11 Mar 97 22:44 EST
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Flowers

> From: Jason Meyers <Jason.R.Meyers@WILLIAMS.EDU>
>
> S. rubra wherryi
> VFT
> D. capensis
> P. primuflora
> Can all of these be selfed? What's the best way to do this
> (especially with the S. rubra)? Lastly, how do you collect the seeds,
> and need anything be done to prepare them for later planting?

Hi Jason,

   Yes, they all can be selfed. Most clones of D.capensis will
do it themselves, the others will need help. You take the pollen
on a small brush (or whatever) and gently rub it onto the stigma.
VFT has one in the center of the flower which will open a day or so
after the flower, but the pollen is mostly shed on the first day
so often the flowers openning up the day after the first can be used.
In the Ping, there will a flap, under which is the pollen. Above
the flap you will see a tiny hole. Place some pollen onto and
around the hole (a splinter or tooth pick works better for Pings.)
On most Sarracenia flowers you'll find five stigma beteen the petals
facing inside. So far, I have not been able to get pollen out
S.rubra rubra flower without taking off a petal or two to reach in
a scrape some off the top of the style. For the Sarr, you'll need
to pollinate several times as the stigma become active a couple
days *after* the pollen (it will stay fresh lying on while laying
in the flower, however) is released. Within a day or so of pollination,
most plants will drop the petals or they will at least start fading.
Harvest when: A) you can see the seed or B) the ovary has dried.
Temperate seed need/like stratification, tropicals don't need it.

Dave Evans

P.S. several people have recently sent me e-mail asking about
plants. Most of last week I was sick or behind in work from being
sick, and so have not replied. Right now I'm not selling any plants,
but will be selling some Sarracenia, temperate Drosera, Nepenthes and
a couple other odd balls. Many plants are a short supply so, like
Barry last year, I'll have to pick who gets what by first come
first serve, but those who have already asked will be considered
first (for the plants asked about only, if they are still interested
in about a month). Please wait until I publish a list of what
is availible for sale and then write me. Thank-you.