Re: Brown vs Black Peat

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Mon Mar 10 1997 - 17:58:00 PST

Date:    Mon, 10 Mar 97 20:58 EST
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Brown vs Black Peat

> From: PTemple001@AOL.COM
>
> I can see where anyone could get the idea that brown looks a more natural
> choice as we all are used to Pings that like the brown peat if they like peat
> at all. However, different Pings like different soils and, much as I hadn't
> seen it before I visited the Andes, this includes black peat.

Hi Paul,

     Almost any CP soil can be made into Pinguicula soil with the
simple addition of vermiculite. Nepenthes mix + verm. = Mexican Ping
soil. Hardy Drosera mix + verm = soil good for many hardy Pings.
Has anyone noticed if peat moss mixed with vermiculite, it turns
a darker shade toward black? I haven't made mixes for a bit, but
was wondering if the color might change with the pH.

Dave Evans