Brown vs Black Peat

From: PTemple001@aol.com
Date: Mon Mar 10 1997 - 17:33:15 PST

Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 20:33:15 -0500 (EST)
From: PTemple001@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Brown vs Black Peat

Clark and everyone

>sedge peat sold for garden soil conditioning tends to be a dark, near black
material, >and somehow just doesn't look right for CPs.

While care needs to be taken when considering use of which peat (moss peat or
sedge peat) for CP's, appearances are not a good guide. The peat soil in
which Pinguicula grow in the Andes Mountains (at least in Venezuela and I'm
pretty sure in Colombia too) is dark or black (same as sedge peat) and not
brown (which would be like moss peat).

I can see where anyone could get the idea that brown looks a more natural
choice as we all are used to Pings that like the brown peat if they like peat
at all. However, different Pings like different soils and, much as I hadn't
seen it before I visited the Andes, this includes black peat.

Regards

Paul