Re: Stratification Question

From: Chris Teichreb (teichrch@MEENA.CC.UREGINA.CA)
Date: Mon Mar 10 1997 - 07:03:17 PST

Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 09:03:17 -0600 (CST)
From: Chris Teichreb <teichrch@MEENA.CC.UREGINA.CA>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Stratification Question

Hi Ryan,

> I just have a short question about something that is concerning. Since I do
> not have enough room in my refrigerator, I am keeping my flats in my garage
> for stratification. But, recently, the temperatures around here have been
> getting warmer and I think that this will affect the stratification. My
> question is, how cold should it be for my D. rotundifolia and S. purpurea
> purpurea? Thanks.
>
> Ryan Pavlovicz

        Both these plants grow in a wide variety of areas. Around
here, I don't know if it will ever get warm this summer (we just got
another 15cm of snow the past couple of days!). However, out on
both coasts, where these plants naturally grow, it has been above
0 for several weeks. I think your plants will be fine. Just make
sure the temperature change is gradual (just leave them outside)
and you shouldn't have any problems.

Regards,

Chris Teichreb
Department of Biology