Re: Bacterial infection?

From: John Walker (jorwa@syspac.com)
Date: Fri Mar 07 1997 - 14:34:51 PST

Date: Fri, 7 Mar 1997 14:34:51 -0800
From: John Walker <jorwa@syspac.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Bacterial infection?

At 02:01 PM 3/7/97 -0800, you wrote:
>> Over the weekend I repotted all the plants but have been afraid
>> to place them back into any standing water. I water each plant every night
>> but this is getting tedious. Any suggestions as to how to keep the standing
>> water clean?
>
>Hi John,
>
> It sounds like your water and soil became stagant. :( To
>stop this from happening, you must change the water now and then.
>Flush out the old water in the tray about once a week or more.
>Perhaps a siphon would do the job? Or you could let the tray
>dry out for one day before watering again (what I do).
> BTW, this time of year most plants are going through winter, and
>should be watered slightly less if indoors and some should not sit
>in water at all during winter. This can also help prevent rot.
Hi Dave,

As it gets so warm here in the Summer, and we don't run the A/C during the
day, I have resorted to reversing the seasons. The VFT's went into the
fridge last weekend.

I'll try letting the saucers dry out for a day in between waterings.
Perhaps I needed to repot any how as I had not done it in 2 years. The old
media didn't look broken down but perhaps the plants can tell more quickly
than I.

Thanks for the advice :)
John in Phoenix