Re: crooked binata / ammonia

From: Russell Elliott (relliott@geocities.com)
Date: Fri Mar 07 1997 - 18:44:46 PST

Date: Fri, 07 Mar 1997 18:44:46 -0800
From: Russell Elliott <relliott@geocities.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: crooked binata / ammonia

sleeper@gil.com.au wrote:

> Postage paid by: [Image]

> my drosera binata has gone all crooked in the stems after transplanting,
> although it is flowering.
> all my other drosera`s are looking healthy and they were transplanted at
> the same time. the weather has been humid and wet ( not much sun ).
> could it be over wet, could it be transplant shock, could it be bugs or
> fungus, could it be because it is in a pot outside and moisture levels
> change ie. after rain or watering?
> i am using rainwater in a 40% peat-40% sphagnum- 20% sand mix.
>
> if anyone suggests benlate could they tell me what strength?
>
> thanx for any help in advance, steve :-)
>
> p.s ammonia in a fishtank should quickly dissapear within an hour of
> feeding or death. there should be no residual in water if bacteria is healthy.
> the older the tank the better it is. (i think).
>

> ozsteve

Steve,

 Iv'e found that all D.binata do this after trasplanting. Its because
they have such long thin petioles, and leaf blades that cause them to
become a little "top heavy". I guess even the mild stress of transplanting
would cause them to temporarily lose cell turgor, and flop over. Even if
the old leaves don't recover the new ones should resume their correct position.

bye for now,

Russell

--
! Russell Elliott, Seed Bank Director,                          !