Re: cp flowers

From: Chris Teichreb (teichrch@MEENA.CC.UREGINA.CA)
Date: Thu Mar 06 1997 - 06:56:37 PST

Date: Thu, 06 Mar 1997 08:56:37 -0600 (CST)
From: Chris Teichreb <teichrch@MEENA.CC.UREGINA.CA>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: cp flowers

Hi Robert,

> Hi, Two of my species of my cp species , Sarracenia Leucophylla and Dionaea
> Muscipula have started producing stems where flowers are forming on them ,but
> all my other pitcher plants and vfts and every other species I have......don't
> show any sign of a flower stalk.Is this normal and should my other cp already
> be starting to produce stalks?
>
> Sincerely,
> Robert Hood
>
> CP-MAN@msn.com

        First, be happy that they're flowering. A plant will not
flower unless it's conditions suit it, so you must be doing something
right! (Occasionally, plants will flower under stress, as a last
attempt at life, but I've not heard of this in the case of Sarracenia's).

        Anyways, the reason the others may not be flowering are many.
Are they large enough to be flowering? Are they getting proper
light levels? Are they getting correct water, temps, etc etc.? Of
course, they may just be waiting until later to throw up their
flower stalks.

        Oh yes, this is normal for them to be producing already.
Sarracenia's usually flower in early spring, but don't expect seed
until the fall, and only if you pollinate the plant. The Dionaea
seems a little early to me, but it may be because of it being
indoors in warm conidtions. Most people recommend chopping off
the flower stalk, but if you have several plants, I'd say try
fertilizing this one just to see if you get anything.

Good luck!

Regards,

Chris Teichreb
Department of Biology