Re: Small bugs?

From: Chris Teichreb (teichrch@MEENA.CC.UREGINA.CA)
Date: Thu Mar 06 1997 - 06:50:51 PST

Date: Thu, 06 Mar 1997 08:50:51 -0600 (CST)
From: Chris Teichreb <teichrch@MEENA.CC.UREGINA.CA>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Small bugs?

Hi Cindy,

> All,
> I have these tiny (but still visible), greyish-black, kind of round, winged
> creatures that seem to be living in the planting medium around my Darlingtonia
> seedlings. They crawl around the top sometimes, but seem to mostly live in the
> ground.
> What are they? Will they hurt the cp, or are they just nesting?

        Sounds like fungus gnats, although they do fly (it's more of a
hopping motion). The adult gnats don't seem to do any damage and will
probably provide food for your Darlingtonia's. The larvae, which
look like small, semi-opaque worms live in the soil and, I beleive,
can feed on the roots of seedlings. I've never been able to eradicate
them ffrom my collection, but I've never noticed any major disasters
from having them either. I've just started growing a terrestrial
Utric (U.livida) which will hopefully take care of the problem!

> I hope that this is enough information to diagnose.
>
> Thanks,
> -cindy

Hope that helps,

Chris Teichreb