Re: Re: Nepenthes Cuttings

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Mon Feb 17 1997 - 15:44:00 PST

Date:    Mon, 17 Feb 97 18:44 EST
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re: Nepenthes Cuttings

> From: Heggood@AOL.COM
>
> So far I have only used the method where you cut it just below a node,
> tear off the lowest leaf to expose cambium, soak in liquid rooting hormone
> and superthrive for several seconds and put it in a container of material.

Yes, this is my favorite method of rooting, but minus the rooting
hormone and superthrive.

> I have used 50/50 sand/peat or fibrous sphagnum. I intend to
> try vermiculite. I never thought of using just water!

Hmm, I doubt pure vermiculite will be benificial for rooting Neps.
Mexican Butter worts on the other hand, love the stuff. Try mixing
a little into what you're already using, to see if it helps.....
I don't use water much, but tend to root the cuttings right into
whatever pot they're going to stay in.

> I think I will give Dave's method a try.

Goodluck,

Dave E

> I would also like to see a similar round-robin discussion for rooting (I just
> mispelled that rotting and thought how appropriate that could be)
> cephalotus.

Must take off the WHOLE leaf (that includes the petiole, BTW) by
gently pulling the leaf off the stem so that a bit of the stem
comes along with the leaf. Push the petiole into the ground and
keep the cutting like any other: High humidity and some warmth.

Dave Evans