Re: Nepenthes Cuttings

From: Heggood@aol.com
Date: Mon Feb 17 1997 - 15:22:14 PST

Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 18:22:14 -0500 (EST)
From: Heggood@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nepenthes Cuttings

I have enjoyed reading the threads on rooting nepenthes cuttings.

So far I have only used the method where you cut it just below a node,
tear off the lowest leaf to expose cambium, soak in liquid rooting hormone
and superthrive for several seconds and put it in a container of material.

 I have used 50/50 sand/peat or fibrous sphagnum. I intend to
try vermiculite. I never thought of using just water! I'll have to give
that
a try also.

I remove 2/3 of the leaves as recommended by every illustration I''ve seen
in CP books. I use zip-lock bags for the small ones and dry cleaners bag
plastic on the larger ones and keep them under flourescents with 18 hour
light cycle. I've had moderate success. I think I will give Dave's method
a try.

I also would like to hear input from some of the other long-time
growers of the vine (Andreas et al hint.. hint.. hint).

I would also like to see a similar round-robin discussion for rooting (I just
mispelled that rotting and thought how appropriate that could be)
cephalotus.

thanks all and happy growing
-steve-