Re: Neps and sphagnum / repotting

From: Len Trigg (trigg@lucy.cs.waikato.ac.nz)
Date: Fri Feb 14 1997 - 10:37:37 PST

Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 10:37:37 (+1200)
From: Len Trigg <trigg@lucy.cs.waikato.ac.nz>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Neps and sphagnum / repotting

Dave Evans wrote

and Davin wrote:

> I actually disagree with this remark. Its not personal but I'll explain
> why. I'm actually using pure sphagnum for most of my Neps and Helies and
> provided I change it once a year I have no problems. Otherwise I've found
> it does decompose far too much. One thing I think which is probably to my

>From what I've read, nep roots are very delicate, and fairly small.
When the time comes to repot a nep that's been potted in straight
sphagnum, how much of the old sphagnum should be removed? With
Sarracenia you can pretty much wash or pick all of the old mix off
the roots and repot in entirely new mix, but how much old mix do you
have to get rid of when repotting neps?? (I don't want to traumatise
my wee plants :-))

Cheers,
    Len.

--