Re: rooting nepenthes

From: -Tom- (tkhayes@pennet.net)
Date: Thu Feb 13 1997 - 12:47:13 PST

Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 20:47:13 GMT
From: -Tom- <tkhayes@pennet.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: rooting nepenthes

Perry & Dave,

>Sure there are other potting mixes that people use, but I
>don't think it's accurate to say that sphagnum moss is not
>good for cultivation of established plants. Perhaps you
>meant straight sphagnum, without anything mixed in?

I agree with Perry here.... Sphagnum is a great growing media when mixed
with other components ( seedling orchid mix and peat moss to name a few)

>> ...I never cut off the pitchers and keep filled them with water.
>> ...It is much *better* to leave the pitchers on it, if you can.
>
>This is interesting. What purpose does it serve to leave the
>pitchers on the cutting? As a reservoir of water? When you
>do this, do you have to keep refilling the pitchers because
>the cutting slurps up the water?

Yes - keep refilling the pitchers to help keep the plants hydrated.

>> I wish people would stop suggesting cutting off large
>> sections of the leaves...
>
>Well, there's a reason for this. The idea is to reduce
>transpiration. A cutting has no root system and so cannot
>absorb water at a fast rate from the potting medium. But the
>leaves will continue to transpire moisture into the air as much
>as possible.

As Perry later points out, the key is to place the cuttings in high
humidity. This is why I keep the cuttings in an enclosed fish tank. They
are sitting in water and held up by a plastic grid which is sitting on
several pots in the water. By keeping them sitting in water and filling the
pitchers they root very quickly. Once the cuttings have inch long roots, I
pot them up in live sphagnum/seedling orchid mix and keep them in the same
type of environment. Once the roots are adapted to this mix they are ready
to be moved into my terrarium.

Take care & keep on growing,

-Tom-