Re: Is Cephalotus still on CITES

From: Carlo A. Balistrieri (cabalist@facstaff.wisc.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 06 1997 - 05:07:10 PST

Date: Thu, 06 Feb 1997 07:07:10 -0600
From: "Carlo A. Balistrieri" <cabalist@facstaff.wisc.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Is Cephalotus still on CITES

At 03:30 AM 2/6/97 -0800, you wrote:

>I don't remember seeing an answer to this on the listserver. However I
>have just received a 1997 catalogue from an Australian nursery. To
>paraphrase, their nursery propagated Cephalotus are not available to
>customers abroad because of the prohibitive time and expense of
>getting CITES permits. So to to choose deliberately emotive
>vernacular, it seems as though the score is still:
>CITES Jobsworths 1 Plant Lovers 0
>
>(apologies to all the idealistic CITES officials who still hope that one
>day CITES will do more good than harm - you have a long, hard struggle
>ahead).

It probably won't be on CITES for long. The Australians are getting their
necessary internal approvals before submitting it for removal from the
Appendices.

The key, however, with Cephalotus, is that no one should need to go to
Australia to get it! It's available in cultivation all over the US and Europe.

Carlo

Carlo A. Balistrieri, J.D. Email: CABalist@facstaff.wisc.edu
P.O. Box 327
Ashippun, WI 53003-0327
U.S.A.
Voice: 414.569.1902 Telefax: same number, please call ahead.