local moss as medium and "no pest" strips

From: Rick Hyde (rah@netcom.com)
Date: Mon Feb 03 1997 - 19:59:36 PST

Date: Mon, 03 Feb 1997 19:59:36 -0800
From: Rick Hyde <rah@netcom.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: local moss as medium and "no pest" strips

Hello, all,

I've just moved my plants into a greenhouse and I'm learning first-
hand about this new environment. It's just like a culture plate!
Outdoors, the plants seemed to do just fine - absent mechanical damage
from wind, rain, and rodents. Inside I've suddenly got mold, fungus,
aphids and who knows what else! Arghh!

So, a couple of questions, if you please...

1) What do you think of a "no pest" strip (like a super flea collar)
   for aphid control? I'd remove it as soon as the aphids are gone.
   I've had bad luck with directly-applied insecticides - even when
   done carefully with a cotton swab... The new D. Capensis leaves
   become deformed.

2) I'm trying to grow CP for the first time from seed. Since it's
   the wet season around here, I've been gathering mosses of various
   types from garden and forest. I filled a pot with traditional CP
   soil, then covered it with locally gathers moss. The D. Rotundifolia
   seeds went on top of that. Does this sound like a good plan? I'm
   a bit concerned that the thin layer of soil underlying the moss
   might not have the correct PH... ?

Thanks!

Rick