Re: Re: water

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Thu Jan 30 1997 - 14:20:00 PST

Date:    Thu, 30 Jan 97 17:20 EST
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re: water

> > Also, what symptoms do plants show when they
> > suffer from such salts?
>
> I am not sure but I believe the symptom is death.

That's one of them. I've been watering my plants everyday for
the past year with hard tap water pasted through a Brita water
filter. It takes out whatever the water is chlorinated with
as well as a number of other things which might or might not
be in the water. It doesn't affect things that are supposed
to harm CPs as they go right through filters. It takes a long
time for the damage to show it's self. The soil degrades (something
it will do anyway, but faster) and the roots suffer and then the
plants start wilting. CP's are a bit weird like that: since they
are so humidity loving, you can't tell they have a problem until
all the roots are gone and the plant is on it's way out. If you
use hard water, you'll have to replace your soil often. Like
every six months instead of a year or two. If things just don't
look quite right or have slowed down out of synch with the
seasons, the soil may be in need of replacement.

Dave Evans