Re: seeds and germination

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Thu Jan 30 1997 - 14:02:00 PST

Date:    Thu, 30 Jan 97 17:02 EST
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: seeds and germination

> one to Paul Temple: if you swap seeds with me I will tell you exactly
> where the seeds come from. It should not be a secret as it helps in
> keeping genetic different material in culture.

Hi List,

   I've been noticing this line about, "the secret seed sources"
and have been wondering why this is... Was it Paul who mentioned
about growers keeping the loction data secret? Anyway, I don't
think many people are keeping "secrets" as much as not bothering
to note where the plants are from. I do this too, many plants
do not really have any need to be marked all the way down to the
town level of resolution. However, a point missed in Barry's
"CLODS" CPN article is that some plants ARE different depending
where they're from. I have some S.flava's from Hampstead, NC.
These are different from plants in other locations, no doubt
about it. I'm not indicated these are anything "special" or
that they are of greater value. But hey, if someone wants to think
they are and trade or pay more for them, that's not my fault.
I'm simply keeping records, if they seem important. (Err, I
have not been selling, but am thinking about others who are and
if lots of people are looking for something, why not cash in?)
  Anyway, I don't want any more S.flava from near this area (which
is why the town name is a help), since even locations close by
will be just about identical. I would like S.flava from Florida's
panhandle though, as these plants *ARE* very different from the
North and South Carolina plants. I've been to these places and
seen the plants so please don't tell me they are not different.
To me, for certain genuses or species, location data is very important.
It can mean the difference of including a plant in my collection;
for which I'll have to trade for or buy, and then make space for
it, ect; or not. Of course, you need have experience with the
plants to make this judgement on whether the location data is
pertinent or not, and lots of people are simply not experienced or
are not using their better judgement.

I want D.anglica (Canada) and I want D.anglica (Hawii). Be a CLOD.
If you think you're helping yourself by hiding location data (or
whatever) please wake up and smell the peatmoss.

Dave Evans