D.roraimae curiosities and questions

From: Fernando Rivadavia (ss69615@ecc-xs09.hongo.ecc.u-tokyo.ac.jp)
Date: Tue Jan 28 1997 - 20:35:54 PST

Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 13:35:54 +0900 (JST)
From: Fernando Rivadavia <ss69615@ecc-xs09.hongo.ecc.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: D.roraimae curiosities and questions

To all,

        I forgot to mention two very peculiar things I noticed in the
pictures of D.roraimae shown to me by Shibata-san on Sunday, taken on her
most recent trip to the Roraima Highlands.
        1st, it appeared to me that the flowers were not pointing upwards,
but sidewys and maybe even a bit downwards. HAs anyone ever noticed this
with D.roraimae in cultivation? I've grown this species and believe the
flowers were normal.
        2nd, the flowers were bicolored!!! In the photo they seemed white
with the base of the petals red, although Shibata-san told me the flowers
were never truly white, but a very light pink. I always though the flowers
were pure white in D.roraimae, and that's the color I remember in my
cultivated specimens. Have any of you ever observed pinkinsh?
        Now the red petal bases is really interesting. As far as I know,
all know Drosera species in the New World have unicolored corollas. The
only exception was a new species I found in Brazil similar to
D.chrysolepis which may occasionally have darker pink petal bases. So
apparently flower colors in D.roraimae are not only variable in that they
can be white to pinkinsh, but they may also have red petal bases. In the
Brazilian species I've studied, petal colors seem to be controlled by
ecological conditions (within genetic limits of color expression).
        Any observations on D.roraimae flower colors (as well as other
Venezuelan species) are welcome, especially from those wh have been to
that region (like Andreas - although it's been a long time for you and I
don't know if you'll remember such a detail).

Best Wishes,

Fernando Rivadavia
Tokyo, Japan