N. burbidgea

From: Christoph A. Belanger (105601.512@CompuServe.COM)
Date: Sat Jan 11 1997 - 06:05:09 PST

Date: Sat, 11 Jan 1997 09:05:09 -0500
From: "Christoph A. Belanger" <105601.512@CompuServe.COM>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: N. burbidgea

Dave,
I have a few selected TC plants and they are growing much faster than other
plants in comparison. Two years ago I received a N. truncata that was only
7.5cm in in diameter. To day this plant is a monster with it its 40cm
diameter. Of course this plant is a fast grower anyway when grown in the
right conditions - or so I have been told. I have seen very similar growth
rates with the other TC plants that I have. Take for instance a N. fusca
that I received a year ago from Steve Baker (hi steve). I too was very
small about 3cm in diameter. Now it has a 15 cm diameter. I have no
complaints with TC plants. Maybe you are stressing your plants in somne
way? Too dry, or maybe too cold, undetected pests or just stress??

BYW, I just saw an add in the new CPN from Marie's Orchids that has many
Nepenthes, including N. burbidgea (for 75$) for sale. It looks like a lot
of the prices are similar to Andreas W. with similar plants of similar
origin.

Christoph

Dave Evans wrote,

    I saw a pot full of them at someone's greenhouse. They were
very healthy and still in their lower growth. The grower didn't
mention anything about them being slower growers... Unlike his
very small rajah which is from tissue culture. Perhaps some of
these "slow growers" are just responding negatively to something
in the TC media? BTW, I have a very, very small (dime sized)
N.gracillima which will not get any larger or establish any roots.
It readily grows roots and then appears abort them, I don't know what
to make of it. Could this be from a "bad batch", or something?
I never heard anything about this being a difficult species.

   I'm not knocking TC, but the couple plants I've received TC grown
haven't impressed me, to say the least. (Perhaps they were not
established in pots correctly?)