Re: N. burkei and N. ventricosa

From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Sat Jan 11 1997 - 13:59:23 PST

Date:          Sat, 11 Jan 1997 13:59:23
From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       Re: N. burkei and N. ventricosa

Dear Meryl,

> If N. ventricosa and N. burkei are the same species why is N.
> ventricosa (Blanco, 1898) considered the correct name, when N.
> burkei (Veitch, 1897) was published first. Please correct me if my
> information is incorrect.

Your information is rather entirely incorrect.

Blanco s Flora Filipin. appeared as early as 1837 (!). Although
_N. burkei_ was described a bit earlier than you have assumed (Gard.
Chron. 3. ser. 6: 492, 1889!) this was still not early enough for
having been published first (v.s.).

Kind regards
Jan

PS: Perhaps you and /or others may want to have a look at the cp
homepage by Rick Walker in order to answer questions like the above
without having to wait for me to do so:
http://www.hpl.hp.com/bot/cp_home