Re:Nepenthes soils

From: Johannes Marabini (Johannes.Marabini@t-online.de)
Date: Wed Jan 01 1997 - 10:36:24 PST

Date: Wed, 01 Jan 1997 19:36:24 +0100
From: Johannes.Marabini@t-online.de (Johannes Marabini)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:Nepenthes soils

Hallo all,

> The plants in nature _must_ grow faster than this. If not, then the
> seedlings would be overwhelmed by the myriad other plants that grow in
> such a warm and humid environment. I find it so hard to believe that a
> N. edwardsiana seedling in its natural habitat would take over five
> years to grow maybe a half meter. Trees grow faster than that!
>
> So, to repeat, is anyone aware of detailed studies concerning soils in
> Nepenthes habitats?
>
> Does anyone have suggestions or comments about speeding the growth of
> N. edwardsiana and N. villosa?

I saw N.edwardsiana several times at locations on G.Trusmadi and these
plants were very large! I measured one plant and it was 22 meters! long.
A part of it was creeping through the very thick moss, the last 1/4 was
climbing in the low trees. I also saw seedlings growing in the moss with
12 cm long internodi.

On the other hand I have plants of N.edwardsiana grown from seeds since
1991 and they are now 25 cm in diameter. And the N.rajah which you can
see in my homepage is also 6 years old (from tissue culture) and 60 cm
in diam. Another N.rajah, 4 years is 6cm in diam.!

If you see the very hard conditions for these highlandspecies at the
localities, you will understand, that they cannot grow very fast. In my
oppinion this 22 meter long edwardsiana is over 15 years old. And I
believe, that the plants need min. 5-8 years to flower. On the summit
you have fog or rain nearly all the time. I measured the lowest
temperature on Trusmadi with -2 degr.Celsius! There werde ice-pearls on
our tents. And when the sun will come out during the day you suddenly
have a haet of 33 degr. celsius. How will you do this in our
greenhouses?

Bye Johannes

--
Johannes Marabini