Re: propagation

Michael.Chamberland (23274MJC@MSU.EDU)
Thu, 05 Dec 96 18:09 EST

> From: "Jeffrey Welch (919) 541-0513" <WELCH@AM.HERL.EPA.GOV>
>
> I have to disagree with Michael. Actually TC is not hard at all,
> basically equivalent in effort to that involved in home canning. The
> main difference is that you don't die of botulinium poisoning if you
> contaminate a culture. I recently met a sucessful orchid grower whose
> only specialized equipment was a pressure cooker, a spray bottle of
> bleach and a large clear plastic bag. She's been doing this for years
> successfully!

Wow, I hadn't hear such progress had been made! When I took a course in
in TC (about 8 years ago) a big deal was made about the need for
delicate balances for measuring the chemicals, and laminar flow hoods
for working with cultures. Have the protocols been worked out and
packaged as "kits" now? Or are these people simply working with
plants that are easy to culture? (Most Drosera can be "tissue cultured"
by just throwing pieces of chopped-up leaf blade on sphagnum :-)

Michael Chamberland