Re: Listserv Netiquette

L235@aol.com
Fri, 8 Nov 1996 09:52:29 -0500

Kevin McGinley writes:

>I received the following emails from Dr. Juerg F. Steiger. I would like
>apologize to any listserver members that I offended with my request for
help.
> I was not aware of the rules of posting. I was only asking for help with
>information on digestive proteases. Also, I was very disgruntled by the
>emails which I received, since I felt they were very condescending. See for
>yourself>

In the less-than-immortal words of Rodney King (please excuse this N.
American pop cultural reference, for those who want/need an explanation,
please e-mail me privately)

"Why can't we all just get along?"

We undoubtedly discussed this subject previously as well, but perhaps it
stands a brief recap?

Electronic communication (for good or bad) lends itself to more informal
exchanges than many are used to. Add to that the variable levels of
experience we have with this medium (some are academics of long-standing
ability with the internet; others are relative newcomers, here because of the
growth in commercial on-line access.)

I agree that common sense would seem to lend itself to including a bit of
personal explanation with any request, along with some identification. (If I
get a letter via the postal system with no identification, I call the bomb
squad) However, perhaps a gentle nudge towards the norm would be more
effective (and pleasant) than a fiery response?

My hope for the list (and I hope it's one that is widely shared) is that it
is inclusive to the greatest extent possible. There SHOULD be room for
lengthy discussions of taxonomy, as well as innocent requests for help with a
first Venus Fly Trap.

I'd rather reserve the rancor for discussions of theology and field
collecting <grin>

Getting off my box of soap (should anyone want to flame me, just mix contents
with a bit of gasoline/petrol)

Jay Lechtman (L235@aol.com)
"People who live in glass houses should grow CP"