Re: Peat Tea

L235@aol.com
Fri, 8 Nov 1996 09:25:21 -0500

Dave Evans writes:

>I just want to reply to something someone (I think it was Perry)
>said about his plants looking better after the peat tea is used.
>I have to say that as time goes by and the plants grow, they
>color up and show increased vigor. Perhaps the plants are simply
>showing the result of becoming established? Have you tried this
>stuff on plants which have been well established (not disturbed
>for a year or more) to see if there is a real effect?

It was me, Dave, but the answer is yes regardless. I've tried it on a number
of my VFTs and Sarracenias, both established and not.

(Feel as if I'm about to follow in a logical black hole however .... if the
plant is long-established, it should be coloring up, but at that point its
peat-based media should be leached of tannins. If a plant is newly potted, it
should lose color because of the disturbance, but at that point, the media is
tannin-rich with new peat.)

Ugh. Promise not to write anything else about peat tea. (and thanks, Perry,
for providing a more exact recipe ... I pour the non-diluted infusion
directly onto my plants, but after that it dilutes quite substantially with
the rainwater already in the trays. I do it once a week or so in the growing
season, or as often as I get around to it.)

Jay Lechtman (L235@aol.com)
"People who live in glass houses should grow CP"