Re: exposure to pathogens...

Perry Malouf (pmalouf@access.digex.net)
Sat, 2 Nov 1996 07:52:01 -0500 (EST)

Concerning the exposure of plants to varying concentrations
of pathogens, Tom Hayes wrote:

> Concentrations don't matter at all. It is the conditions in which the
> spores land that make the difference. If 1 or 1000 spores land in a
> suitable growing environment, they will grow. It may take slightly longer
> for a single spore to become a problem, but it will happen.

I feel the need to comment on this, lest someone out there take
action based on "concentrations don't matter at all" and then
wind up with a problem.

Ambient conditions are important, for sure. But so is the level
of innoculation. They're all important, because what we're really
talking about here is the equilibrium of a biological system.

Your plants might enjoy an equilibrium point such that a major
influx of certain pathogens wouldn't harm them at all. Such an
influx would change the equilibrium point of your plants, but
not far enough for the pathogens to take over. Eventually the
equilibrium point would move back to where it started.

Other enthusiasts out there certainly have different growing conditions.
Due to many factors, the equilibrium point of their growing
system might be a lot more sensistive to certain pathogens (I'm
not restricting the discussion to fungi).

Producing a peat tea by means other than boiling might work
fine for Tom Hayes' plants, and for many other growers' plants
as well. (Whatever works, right?)

If you're not sure about the conditions of your peat moss (and I'm
not about my peat), and if you're not sure how your plants might react
to a higher-than-ambient concentration of pathogens (and I'm not
about my plants) then boiling peat tea would be prudent.

I make this point for the benefit of other growers who read
this--I would be negligent if I did not bring up the possibility
of these problems occurring.

(In a similar vein, when I send plants to people I strongly recommend
that they quarantine the plant for a while, just to be on the safe side.
I do this even though I'm sure my plants are okay, and I would never
knowingly send a sick plant to someone.)

Regards,

Perry Malouf