Re: VFT confiscation

L235@aol.com
Thu, 31 Oct 1996 11:07:05 -0500

Sean Barry writes:

>If it is true, I find it difficult to blame the enforcement
>agencies--after all, they didn't collect the plants/animals illegally, but
>are forced to clean up the mess and use some judgement in a real quandary.

Sean, I agree whole-heartedly with you. Culpability should be placed
squarely on those who violate the law, not those who's job it is to uphold
it.

However, even the wildlife management people bemoaned the fact that wanted to
return these plants to the wild, but simply didn't have the resources. I
believe in most VFT confiscation cases (that involve violations of state law,
as opposed to CITES), people dig up the plants and are caught in close
proximity. I don't think there should be too much of a concern about biologic
havoc wrought by their return to the wild (perhaps I'm wrong).

Perhaps such plants could be turned over to local Nature Conservancy (or
other conversation agencies) for reintroduction, either back into their
original habitat, or into nearby preserves?

Jay Lechtman (L235@aol.com)
"People who live in glass houses should grow CP"