S. purpurea cultivation

L235@aol.com
Thu, 31 Oct 1996 10:59:29 -0500

Perry Malouf wrote in reply to Michael from Brussels:

>I can offer some general guidelines. First, these plants
>like to sit in direct sunshine all day long. The more
>light you give them, the better. One 18 watt Grolux
>is probably unsufficient.

I agree. Most of my collection (a short distance from Perry's) does consist
of Sarracenia species. I grow them outside exclusively, with six hours of
direct sunshine in the summer months. Under lights, however, I use a minimum
of 40 watt fluorescent tubes (24" long due to space), about six inches from
the plants (Pinguiculas, Heliamphoras, Cephalotus and sub-tropical and
tropical Drosera).

18 watts sounds woefully inadequate.

Perry's friend's experiments with peat tea really do show some amazing
results, but I've also seen wide variation between various Sarracenia
purpurea plants under the same growing conditions. I have two plants each of
S. purpurea venosa (North Carolina) and S. purpurea venosa "Louis Burke"
(Florida) that are quite different in appearance, the N.C. venosas, in
particular. One is blood red, the other a variegated red/green.

Jay Lechtman (L235@aol.com)
"People who live in glass houses should grow CP"