Re: Pure, pure, species

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Mon, 21 Oct 96 17:47 EDT

> From: "Michael.Chamberland" <23274MJC@MSU.EDU>
>
> > I'm a purist and that's why I see the var. heterophylla as a
> > very asinine designation for the northern S. purpurea (all-green)
> > plants.
>
> Actually, it's forma _heterophylla_, not var. _heterophylla_. I've seen
> these in habitat, albeit in only one site. There the heterophylla form
> was growing intermixed with the normal form, with evidence of intermediates.

Hi Michael, are you sure they were intermediates? I thought they
either have red or not... Sure some plants can show less red, I
see this all the time and see greater differences in color and
pattern from population to population. Could the intermediates
simply have been shaded by grass or shrubs?

Dave E